Re: Porsche 911, can pigs fly?

Wow, a lot of animosity toward Porsche. Why? The arguments I've read are not
compelling, reading more like a list of opinions, some of which are not based
on fact or experience, but popular notions.

The fact remains regardless of individual opinions, that the Porsche 911 is
the most successful production sports car and production-based racer. More
races have been won by the 911 and it's variants (930, 934, 935, 939 ...etc.)
than any other production car, period. Ever. No other car even comes close.
That includes professional and club racing. And, no other car has won as many
races in as many classes, categories and types of racing than the 911,
period. Endurance, rally, sports car, and hillclimb have all seen the 911 and
variants dominate at one time or another. That's called versatility. To argue
this record would show how little attention one has paid to international
motorsports.  Is this what we can expect from a machine that is "totally
unsatisfactory" and "inferior"?

The 911 ran very, very competitively at Le Mans (and throughout the gamut of
FIA sanctioned events for that matter) from its' introduction to the recent
end of the production run of air-cooled 911s; nearly 35 years straight. Both
in stock and modified forms. What other production car (or one-off even) can
claim that? This puts the lie to any opinions that this car was
unsatisfactory as a sports car and is a validation in the fullest sense of
even the chassis layout. Name one Italian car (or marque) that a can match
this record (God it hurts to write that). The fact that the 911 remained in
production relatively unchanged for almost 35 years while managing to even be
repositioned up-market slightly again validates the overall concept and the
car itself. Hard to beat, that one.

From my personal experience, the 1996 Carrera 911 (993 in Porsche numbering)
was one of the finest, most well-built, best handling, and by far most fun
car  I reviewed that year for Robb Report. I drove everything from Aston
Martins and Ferraris down to a lowly GM Camero SS (and an Alfa GTV 2.0 TS),
and the Porsche was better than all in nearly all respects, and had the vote
of nearly every other journalist that year as the car they'd choose to live
with. Now this may be just their (and mine) opinions, but considering their
jobs, training, and experience, there is a qualitative difference.

I'll even go on record and say we as sports car enthusiasts owe a debt of
gratitude to Dr. H. f. C. Porsche Aktiengesellschaft for not only all the
many technological contributions to the sport and market, but also for
continuing to carry the sports car and racing banner during the dark ages of
the mid-to-late 70's and early 80's when many others abandoned the market.
Porsche as a company made as much, if not more, consulting for other
manufacturers, which in many ways is a far easier way to turn a buck, and
despite many internal pressures to give up their costly core business and
its' related adjunct, racing, they continued. We would be in a far more
impoverished world of sports cars were it not for Porsche.

Porsche is in the business of making money. To do that they make and sell
cars. And only expensive to design and produce cars that are not practical as
family cars for the wealthy people that must choose from amongst many other
more practical choices. There are other far less risky models for making
money, yet Porsche not only continues, but thrives. Porsche has genuinely
tried to deliver what its' customers want while remaining true to its'
heritage and has remained family owned longer than nearly any other
manufacturer I can think of. That's an admirable set of traits by any
measure. If the market, including those who race, didn't want rear-engined
Porsches, they wouldn't have lined up for them, and we'd be then arguing the
merits for the 2001 928.

So why the calumny and biased screeds; is there some collective inadequacy
that needs to be addressed here on the board? As much as I love my Italian
cars, I know that there are other sports cars out there, and some are good,
really good.

Cheers,
Paul Mitchell