Re:'91 164S slow warm up even with new thermostat

Jerry

This is an Alfa design trait (fault??) My 164 TS is just so slow to warm up. I
was getting paranoid about it, but then I remembered that all three Alfas
(164TS & 75 TS) I have owned have been the same, and everyone you speak to
says ditto.

Last winter on a foggy/icy day it failed to get to operating temp for nearly
20 miles. In fact I shut the heater off just to get the engine to warm up.
When I checked the thermostat it was working just fine. In the bad old days I
remember people blanking off sections of the radiator in very cold weather,
but I don't trust that method with todays engines.

What irks me is that the engine is quite evidently chucking out bucket loads
of heat, because that is what engines do. What I don't understand is where it
hides it all !!. By contrast my wifes modest 1300cc Czech transport system is
pushing out lovely warm air from the heater in little over a mile. Grrrrr.

After a truly beautiful October the weather is just turning cooler here, so I
am just entering the 'slow warm-up' period again.

Tim Hancock   164TS Lusso                    Boston UK