Re: alfa-digest V8 #169 - Airflow sensor orientation

In a message dated 10/26/2001 1:55:42 AM Central Daylight Time,
ltooz@domain.elided writes:

> Hello all,
> Does K&N air filter really improve the performance at all or just costs
> more and troulbesomes? I remembered replacing one of those free flow air
> cleaner on my Lancia Scorpion, it's was just more noisy.
>
> Louis
> 91 Spider Veloce,
> Sunnyvale, CA

       A filter that has small openings will trap more dirt.  They will also
flow less air.  It takes air to make horsepower.  So there is a trade off
between air flow and filter efficiency.
      The K&N flows more air.  It uses oil to help capture the dirt, which
means it needs cleaned.  But then it is designed to be cleaned and re oiled.
In my not at all humble opinion, the K&N probably is not as good at removing
dirt from the air as a stock filter is.
       Many racers swear by the K&N filter.  One racer told me that scrubbing
the K&N vigorously with gasoline would clean it and make it flow better.  In
essence, he was making it almost like no air cleaner at all.  He is running
the SCCA Show Room Stock race class which requires an air filter.
       I know that Vick Auto www.vickauto.com sells K&N filters to fit the
stock air cleaner housings.  These should not make any more noise than stock
as the air cleaner housing acts like a silencer.  Other vendors may be
selling this style K&N also, but their catalogs do not list them.
       The question about the air flow sensor orientation was with a cone
style filter as sold by IAP.  My IAP catalog says that their cone filter is
not a K&N, but they could have changed suppliers.  This kit replaces the
stock air cleaner housing and will make more noise.  As there is not a
snorkel drawing air from beside the radiator, they also draw hot air into the
engine.  Cold air is better than hot air for making horsepower.  That is why
I suggested making a shroud around the cone filter or moving the cone filter
to the grill area and connecting it with hose.
       You can also make your own air filter.  Take a stock flat style air
cleaner.  Cut away the paper filter material leaving the rubber around the
outside and the screen wire top.  Then fit bulk filter material from home
depot, or better yet get some racing filter material from someone like
Pegasus http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/
       So what do you want?  Air flow or rocks in your engine?  It is your
decision.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City