Re: alfa-digest V8 #169 - Airflow sensor orientation

In a message dated 10/25/2001 4:36:06 PM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 11:16:45 -0700
> From: Mike Gemelke <mike.gemelke@domain.elided>
> Subject: Airflow sensor orientation
>
> I'm trying to fit a K&N type cone filter on my '86 spider.  I got the kit
> from IAP and put it all together per instructions, but I don't care for the
> position of the cone.  The cone rests on the left fender-wall and is not
> centered in the airflow that comes into the engine beside the radiator.  I
> can modify the bracket and get enough play from the BOSCH L-Jet intake tube
> to get the cone centered better, BUT I would have to orient the airflow
> sensor in the vertical plane (instead of the horizontal plane that it sits
> in atop the stock air box).
>
> Now I know that the airflow sensor has a flap/door.  What I'm concerned
> about is the flap/door or other part of the sensor not operating correctly
> due to this vertical orientation.  A book I have says that the door is
> operated by springs, so perhaps the gravity vector change will not change
> the operation of the sensor?
>
> A 10 minute run of the engine varying the throttle seems to indicate that
> this is ok, but I want to get opinions from those who know the BOSCH system
> on if this is risky.
>
> Thanks for the help.
> - -Mike

       Carefully remove the black plastic cover from the air flow meter and I
think you will see how it work.  You can glue it back with silicone sealer.
There is a spring the controls opening of the air flow flap.  I have
occasionally moved the spring five notches on its attachment point.  The
theory is that this tricks the engine into thinking the air flow is greater
than it is and the computer will make the mixture a bit richer.
       As far as mounting the meter on its side, I am not sure.  I do not
have a meter here in the garage to study.  I do have a couple in my storage
building that I could check later.
       Now, why not just mount your meter horizontally as Alfa fitted it.
Then make a box out of aluminum or some material that will not melt.  Seal
the box to the fender and against the hood and have the front at the opening
beside the radiator.  This will move the cold air to the air cleaner and may
give a bit of ram air effect if it is sealed well.
       Or move the air cleaner up to behind the grill and get a some hose to
duct the air from the air cleaner to the air flow meter.  Not quite what IAP
designed, but it should work.  Appropriate tubing is available in the
plumbing and heating section of your local hardware / home store.  Or get
some high tech stuff from Pegasus http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/, or from
Racer Wholesale http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/

Ciao,
Russ Neely