Natural History of a GTV

Three and a half years ago I was looking to buy a GTV as a toy when my daily
driver was stolen and wrapped around a light pole. Since I wasn't insured
for theft and I had little cash, I could either buy a boring econo box or a
GTV and pray it would be reliable enough to use as a daily driver. Heart won
over head. I noticed a red '74 GTV sitting in front of a British car repair
shop. It was a one owner, with 71k miles, tired, but complete. The mechanic
intended to buy for himself but was baffled by the fuel injection and gladly
passed it on. I had it towed to Alfa Only in Glendale where Bill set it
right. For a shakedown cruise I drove from Los Angeles to Seattle and back.
That's normally a 2200 mile trip. I managed to do it in just under 5000
miles. I had no break downs or major scares. However, I started a list of
upgrades. The most important were:

1. Replaced the springs and shocks. The ride, handling and comfort
increased dramatically even though the choice of gas strut was a mistake.

2. Rebuilt the engine. At 85k my motor was tired but nothing was wrong with
it. Wow, what a difference a fresh engine makes even at stock spec.
Crisper, more eager when pushed, more relaxed when cruising. My advise: do
it sooner than later.

3. Replaced the suspension bushings. This is undoubtedly the single most
significant improvement. The car no longer rides vintage. Its modern in
comfort and outstanding in agility.

4. Repainted the car. Wow! Not that it looked bad before, but now I draw a
crowd where ever I go. You can't not enjoy that.

5. Sound proofed the interior. OK, so it adds unnecessary weight, but this
was the final step in bringing it up to the level of a modern. Long freeway
drives are no longer a chore.

6. Carpeted the trunk. No, I'm not joking. I found a wizzard of an
upholster. Its so beautiful now that I would sleep in there if I fit.

Overall cost has been less than I anticipated even though I'm pretty much a
check book mechanic. An added bonus has been the comradery. AROSC members
have of course gone out of their way. But so too have shop owners when they
detect my enthusium. This being LA, there is the extra thrill of going into
some dusty out of the way hole where I have just spent $30 and have the
owner
ask if I want to see what he's doing for Jay (Leno) or Tim (Allen) and pull
up a dust cover and launch into the technical details of some fascinating
machine.

My gamble three years ago paid off. The car has only left me stranded once.
Deduct the money spent on upgrades and maintenance has been less than if I
had bought a Sentra. Plus I get to drive one of the greatest cars ever made
every day.

ps. Remember the discussion about a year ago about the guy who gave a
Maserati Biturbo to charity. He's a neighbor and was walking his dog the
other day when I was reassembling the rear bumper. He stopped to admire the
car and my work and blurted out "I should have given you my Maserati."
Wouldn't that have been the ultimate "free Berlina?"

Dave
74 GTV
LA CA USA