Re: 911 or gtv6

Guten Morgen,

As they say in Baden Wuerttemberg, if you prefer Spaetzle, no amount of
convincing will make you want to eat spaghetti... or something to that effect.

I owned an (euro) 83 SC and an (euro) 86 Carrera when I lived in Stuttgart,
my 83 had the turbo tail and the 86 had the Carrera tail, and an 85 GTV6
with the Kirshtein ECU (actually, it was Jim Smith's mods, but this is
another ancient history) later on in Boston, so I'll comment... The 911
boxer 6 was just intoxicating, both in terms of tractability and sound, but
then the Alfa 6 is no slouch either, both have proved to be pretty
reliable. The 911 is a point and squirt car, probably better for the
streets of Texas, the GTV6 can hang onto those long sweeping curves with
much greater confidence, it really compares more with the 944/951 than the
911.

You have to want to drive the 911 at speed, it plows like a pig, then snap
oversteers; trailing throttle oversteer... I am having trouble just typing
this. If you have not swap ends in a 911 you have not driven hard enough.

I moved to Zuffenhausen in 85 because I wanted to own and drive 911's. I
made a lot of friends with the designers at Weissach when I got there, most
of whom were Americans. To my surprise, most were Alfa nuts, they also
liked Ferraris, too, but most can't afford it. I remember chasing my
friend's Junior Z and Sud Sprint, 84 GTV6 around and I had twice the engine
and horse power, needless to say, I became a convert.

If $$ were no object, it's tough call as to which car I would want to drive
on a given day, I brought the 86 Carrera back to Boston and had the 85 GTV6
as my winter car, I found both enjoyable depending on my mood. If you
factor in the $$$, the Alfa wins..

con brio,

	- Steve.