La Carrera - 10/22 report

Just received this from Patrick Bowling (co-pilota of the 1960 Giulietta
Sprint):

<< Well, we made it across the border.  No big problems except we made a
mistake and had to turn around at one point to go get more papers.  [The
border agents] wanted to collect a big tax on [our] generator - we told them
it was only worth about $200 and got away spending only $20 on tax, which was
great.  I left Martin [Hancock, pilota] and Dave [Miller, crew member] in
Monterrey this a.m. and they had a good route picked out to make it to
Tuxtla.  All is well so far!  Pass word to Mike and Dianne [Besic] if you see
them.  Mexico City Airport is actually pretty nice.  More later.....

Patrick
<<