Re: SPICA questions

Hello James:

The cold start solenoid, that's the rearmost solenoid on the Spica pump, is
energized ONLY when the starter is engaged.  The OEM wire is black (perhaps
14ga.) and is connected to one of the two terminals on the starter solenoid
(the terminal not connected to the car's battery).  There is another
similar-sized black wire originating on that starter solenoid terminal,
which connects to the ignition switch, or starter relay, if your car has
one.  Thus, when you hold the ignition switch in the start position, both
the starter solenoid and the Spica cold start solenoid are simultaneously
energized.

You might want to check the continuity of the black wire, and you can also
check operation of the cold start solenoid by energizing it with 12V+.   A
click will tell you that it is working, but not that it's necessarily
properly adjusted.  Don't screw with that until the rest of the Spica pump
is properly adjusted.

For a proper Spica adjustment look at AROO's instructions at:

http://alfaclub.org/techstff/tunespca.htm

Before you attempt any Spica adjustments, the ignition and valves should be
properly adjusted:

http://alfaclub.org/techstff/tuneign.htm

If you want it to be right, follow all instructions in their specified
order, and take the time to do it right.  The only thing that I've found to
take any time to get perfect is the adjustment of the fuel cutoff
solenoid.  Tiny adjustments, on the order of 1/8 turn or less, make quite a
bit of difference once you get it close.

Regards,

Dean W. Cains
dwc@domain.elided

'74 Spider Veloce (4 out of 5 dentists recommend Spica for the patients who
drive Alfa's)
Lutz, FL