Winter tires etc etc

Narrower winter tires work well in heavy wet snow. Otherwise stick with the
stock profile. For dry light snow, or on ice, or especially bare roads,
wider tires are still better.

BTW, the biggest advantage to narrower tires is the taler sidewall which
makes traction more forgiving. The taller sidewall is more flexible which
improves the compliance in marginal traction conditions. I still regard the
narrower tire as giving too much away on bare or packed snow road surfaces.
How often do you drive in heavy wet soft snow?

Classic Blizzaks do indeed have only half the tread depth as the soft multi
cell rubber. The rest of the tread is mundane all season junk, go figure.
The full winter Blizzaks are supposed to be more conventional. BTW, Metzler
had a multi cell ice tire years and years ago, it even had a blue tread (no
carbon black made for super sticky super soft rubber) so Blizzaks are
nothing new really. People I have talked to really like the straight line
traction but complain the tires go away when driven even moderately hard.
Ditto the Metzlers. There's no free lunch. Pirelli still makes the best all
around performance winter tire. Absolutely phenomenal. I just put the 210A
back on the 164 today and I kid you not they handle like a summer tire on
bare road. Nokian Hakka Q or Gislaved NordFrost are the best available ice
and snow tire. Blizzaks are really just an also ran IMHO.

The 164L for pre 91 used a double ball bearing with plastic ball cage that
breaks. The S and the updated L bearing is a sturdy roller bearing for the
input shaft. Design defect that Alfa knew was there. Dumb.

The Chianti will come in a flask shaped bottle Fiaschi which means straw
covered or in a basket. the traditional bottle has no flat spot on the base
and was woven into a straw base to allow it to stand up. This is ideal for
the glovebox tho' it won't fit. Far superior is the Chianti Classico
Riserva in a Bordeaux style bottle (to allow laying down in the classic
Bordeaux tradition). The Riserva Chianti is absolutely delicious, though it
was more popular casa mia when it was also absurdly cheap. I once had
bottle of Ruffino '53 which cost a bomb and was worth every penny. DOCG or
Denominazione  Originata Controllata e Garantita is the watchword. This
equates to the Appellation Controlee for French wine with the curious
Italian addition of "and guaranteed" which surely implies that merely
D.O.C. wine could be faked!

Essential tool kit for any Italian car includes a proper corkscrew. Al of
my cars have been so equipped since at least 1975. The best corkscrew for a
car is the traditional waiter's friend which takes the form of a pocket
knife type with integral cork lever, and bottle opener. Buy a good one as
the cheap ones are improperly proportioned. The Lagoustine style from
France are the absolute best if you can afford one (I have the more generic
"XYZ Vineyard" promotional type myself.)

Cheers

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta
Canada