Re: alfa-digest V8 #156 - oxygen sensor goes bye-bye

       Did the O2 sensor come unscrewed?  Or did the fitting rust / tear out
of the side of the head pipe?  The latter would surprise me and would
indicate a need for new head pipes.
       Why not take it to a muffler shop and have them weld the fitting for
the O2 sensor back in place.  Any competent muffler shop should be able to do
that.  They may even have an assortment of fittings.  Point out to the shop
that your head pipes are Stainless Steel.

       It will not hurt to run the Alfa Spider with no O2 sensor.  It might
make the mixture rich enough that your catalytic converter will go toast.
       I run my 82 street racer and my 84 track racer with no O2 sensor, but
neither has a cat.  One of my wife's 91 Spiders started surging on the
interstate.  I unplugged the O2 sensor and it quit.  I have not gotten around
to replacing it and it is getting better gas mileage than ever.  But the cat
may be self destructing as we speak.
       My personal preference would be to fit 74 or earlier cast iron
headers, fit the catalyst from a mid 1970's Alfetta / Spider and connect to
your existing exhaust.  You will have to weld an O2 fitting to the new 74
head pipe.  Again, any muffler shop should be able to build such a system.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City