more on tach lens cleaning

Recent discussion concerned cleaning up the inside of the glass on a 70s
(dual pod) tach.

Forward into the past!

There's a good deal of annoying dust inside the one big lens over all the
instruments on my BW's prized 91 spider (monopod).  Has anyone had a good
experience removing the lens for cleaning using a suitable tool?  Can it be
done in situ or do you really need to remove the whole pod works and all to a
workbench? I checked the shop manual but w/o a lot of luck. Looks to me as
though I can just pop off the tripometer stem and then use a suitable tool to
release the catches for the front of the pod, but I know things are not
always as (or as sturdy) as they seem.  What should I look out for on this?

Charlie
LA, CA, USA