RE: Water Pump Removal

> That's just asking for punishment. I think I'm right in also claiming to
> have introduced this digest to the trick of removing the pump by
> double-nutting a stud and since then many have used it with success and
> saved themselves a huge amount of time and effort. At least one person
> (Brian Shorey?) used this method to get mobile again after a water pump
> failed in the middle of a cross-continent trip: I can't imagine anyone
> being able to do the repair by themselves (1 person) on the roadside,
using
> the more difficult method of removing the crank pulley.

AFAIK Les was the originator of the water pump double nutting method.  I
picked it up from him on the digest many, many years ago, and yes, it saved
my a$$ on a Saturday morning in Cheyenne, Wyoming, during a cross country
trip in Earnest the Alfetta.

My only hesitation to using the double nut trick, as opposed to removing the
crank pulley, might be a concern over what happens to the stud threads in
the aluminum block after multiple r&r.

Great trick for extenuating circumstances, or when you don't have the means
to get the crank pulley off, but if you have the means my preference would
still be to remove the crank pulley.

Thanks again Les!

bs