Re:Alfa Launch Delayed in U.S.

"...General Motors and Fiat have decided to postpone the Italian marque's
return to the U.S. Fiat will not retrofit current model Alfas to meet U.S.
federal requirements for 2003; now, all-new models will enter the U.S. as
2005 model year cars."

Its probably just as well they delay the re-entry in the US.  If they tried
to come back for the 2003 model year, they would be pushing models out this
time next year.  With the economy in the state it is, I'm doubtful that
there will be a strong demand for new cars at that time.  That combined with
the expense of establishing a support network seems like a losing financial
prospect for Fiat.  History shows that a couple years down the road the
economy should be back strong and Alfa's return would be a lot more
palatable.

On a side note, I just got back from Italy.  I went to an Alfa dealership
and sat in a 147.  It was very nice.  The materials used on the interior
were top notch.  It would definitely be strong competition to the VW Golf
and the other hatchbacks around.  Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it is
slated to come to the US.  All the press releases I've seen have talked
about the GTV, Spider, 156, and sometimes 166 replacements.  Maybe if Audi
brings the A3 over, Fiat may see reason to export the 147.  Just idle
speculation.

Cheers,
Lawrence
'71 GTV