Curious - (what goes around - - )

As soon as I read John Holliday's response to Ed Aenlle's opinion on
appropriate (i.e., non-Sprite) alfa-digest content I sent a note, off digest,
to Holliday, saying that many of the regulars are decent people, and urging
him to stick around. I then got a nice reply from him, also off-digest, saying
"I will, I actually planned only to send my rebuttal to only him, but it
seemed that he blocked my email address. So I sent it to the list. I should
not have done that as I stooped to his level for a momment." He didn't say,
but by double-checking intervening digest content I established to my own
satisfaction that Ed Aenlle's post which so many of us found offensive had
been an off-digest message to John Holliday, which we knew about only through
John's quoting of it.

 Sigh. I agree generally with the several people who found Ed's opinion
inappropriate, but my perspective is modified to a perhaps minor but still
significant degree by the knowledge that it was a private opinion privately
expressed. Perhaps Ed was having a bad day. I look forward to John Holliday's
participation, but if Ed Aenlle posts something alfaish on-digest I hope I
will be able to consider it on its merits.

 Peace, relatively -

 John H.

Raleigh N.C.