Double Nuts

   Someone else and I both mentioned double nuts as a way to remove or install a stud.  I mentioned them as being on the big bolt that the alternator pivots on.  I said that was the only place I could think of where Alfa had used them.
     I realized that the main bearing caps on the Alfa spiders are all double nutted.  There is the normal nut and a sheet metal locking nut.
     The upper end of the front shock absorbers and both upper and lower ends of the rear shocks are double nutted.  An interesting fact is the nuts from the stock shock absorbers can also be used on the main bearing caps.  I change all mine when I installed Jim Steck's windage tray on my race car.
     Alfa also used double nuts to attach multiple items.  The ground strap to the bellhousing uses one nut to hold the bellhousing and a second for the ground strap.  A simular arrangement is used underneath on the three bolts that hold the exhaust head pipe hanger to the transmission.
     I have no idea why this has been turning in my head today.  I guess I would just rather be in the garage turning some wrenches...
Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City