Jacks

Dan -

Do not futz around with semi-functioning jacks.
Lifting our cars off the ground so that we can crawl
underneath them is the most consistently dangerous
thing most gearheads do, and marginal lifting
equipment is to be avoided at all costs, including
that of authenticity. Save both the stripped jack and
the "maybe-okay" one for the next trip to the metal
recycling yard, and go buy yourself either a well-made
scissors jack, if you can find one (they seem to be
rare these days), or one of the perfectly adequate
cheap hydraulic roll-arounds you can pick up at
Harbour Freight or Autozone for $25 or so. And get
some chocks and jackstands while you're at it.

Will Owen
Pasadena, CA
http://personals.yahoo.com