re: Renting an Alfa in Italy

You can certainly reserve the Alfa of your choice in Italy.  Besides Italy, I
have done so in nearly every western European country and can give you some
hands-on tips:

Never use Hertz or Avis to reserve a specific car.  These are good companies
if you don't care what you end up with.  No matter what you reserve it's luck
of the draw to get one.  Most of the time you'll reserve exactly what you want
and end up with something in the same "class" - believe me, you won't like the
Opel they consider in the same class as an Alfa 156.

Try to contact the actual rental location directly.  They know what they have
and can reserve it at the location.  I've done this in Rome and Naples without
problem.  If in either of these cities, consider renting from somewhere near
the outside of town (near an "A" or "E" road) so you don't have to drive in
the city.

I've had lots of luck with Sixt (Budget) and Europcar (National Car Rental).
In both cases in Italy and in numerous cases in other countries I've called
the rental place directly, asked them what they had, and reserved it for a
specific date.  The exact car was there.

FYI Air Conditioning is often a very pricey option.  So are automatic
transmissions.  Check with your local insurance company, you should be fully
covered.  You do not need an international driver's license but do need a good
credit card, passport, u.s. driver's license, and (sometimes) destination
information.

You'll find the Italian toll roads are quite nice and well paved.  Speed
limits are, well, pretty optional.  Want to have fun?  Rent an Alfa Spider and
drive the Amalfi coast from near Pompeii.  Not fast but very, very, very curvy
and beautiful.