Palio

I probably won't get this out before John H., but here goes:
The Palio is a race that takes place twice a year in Siena, the heart of
Tuscany. The riders all carry a bandiera of one of the houses that sponsors
the rider - I think there are 12. The venue is the square in the center of
the town, and it is paved with stone. The riders, it is said, are all hired
from the Mezzogiorno or Sicily because no intelligent person from the North
and especially Tuscany would be so Pazzo as to ride in this race! I have
never heard of killing the 2nd place horse, but anything is possible. It
(the Palio) is now a great tourist attraction, as the race is run in July
and the second one, in August.
Regards,
--John Cecil
<jcecil@domain.elided>