Palio

In a message dated 10/03/2001 11:10:21 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Don't flame me but correct me if I'm wrong, but I
> remember reading about a horse race in Italy where
> they race around the town and then the second place
> horse is ceremoniously killed.  If I remember
> correctly, the race or the city was named, Palio.
> Anybody got the true skinny on this?
> The Fiat Palio is available with a 1.0liter or a
> larger 16 valve engine.  Maybe when gas prices get to
> $3.50USD/Gallon, we will see some Palio's here.

The Palio, dating from the middle ages, is a bareback horse race run around
the square in Sienna, twice a year -- once in the Spring, I think, and once
in August.  Teams are made up of the neighborhood guilds and it is famously
crooked but fun.  There is also a big festival associated with it where they
compete on food.

It's a good name for a car, too bad FIAT beat ALFA to the punch!

Charlie
LA, CA, USA