Paint question

Some time ago, a lister was having problems with paint that had gone milky
under a wet tarp. I just had a red motorbike (Cagiva Mito 125 for those who
know what they are) transported 3000km on the back of an open truck in the
rain. The problem comes in that a piece of paper was taped onto the tank
with packing tape, and where the tape was over the paper it got wet and
stayed that way, and went milky.
How the hell do i get it to be red again?? please don't say repaint it...
I just gotta say, its alot easier to work on then my house mates honda. Less
than 5 minutes to change a plug (at about $7 a plug) vs 30+ minutes to
change the plugs (x4 @ $15 a plug) on the honda!!

Ben Bishop

'77 GTV 'La Strega Nera' (now awaiting the fitment of new PACE extractors
and 45mm Webers)
'77 GTV 'La Strega Nuda' (Awaiting body prep)
'77 Ford XC 351 ute 'The Behemoth'

'75 Suzuki GT250
'85 Suzuki RG500
'95 Cagiva Mito