bumps in or bumps out?

I feel kind of silly for having to ask, but I don't see any notes in the
service manual, so here goes my simple question:

I'm replacing the exhaust manifold on my '86 quad (cracked #4), and have all
the parts I need, but looking at the gaskets I'm not sure I have all the
information I need.  The manifold-to-head gaskets have an embossed ring in
the center.  Should this embossed ring be positioned so that the bump is in
towards the head, or out towards the manifold?  Does it matter?

Similarly on the manifold to front-pipe gasket, one side is black
(phenolic?) and the other side has metallic rings.  Should the metallic side
go towards the manifold or front pipe?  Does it matter?

Thanks for the help.

-Mike
'86 spider quad
Portland, OR