Stuck!

Hi all! A question for those who've been there done that:

I'm replacing the clutch in my Spider ('76) and have reached a roadblock. I
can't get the transmission to move the final inch or so to mate up with the
engine. I've checked and rechecked the clutch plate alignment and it's as
perfectly centered as I could imagine. How perfect does it need to be?

The throwout bearing is not interfering...it's way back on the fork which
has been restrained in a fully retracted position. And at this point, I
think every conceivable angle of approach between the tranny and engine has
been tried.

Here's some additional info to help frame your responses: the job is being
done from under the car, I did not pull the engine. The gearshift stick has
been removed. I removed the 4 long studs -- 2 each on the left and right
sides -- from the engine block in hopes of easing reassembly.

The one thing I've not tried is using heavy force such as a large hammer to
the back of the tranny to ram it home. Is this what's called for? Any other
advice from those who've done this job?

- Eric Hambleton, Marietta, GA
  Alfas current: 1993 164L - 1976 Spider
  Alfas past:    1983 GTV6 - 1982 GTV6 - 1988 Milano - 1979 Spider V