RE: Stuck!

> Here's some additional info to help frame your responses: the job is being
> done from under the car, I did not pull the engine. The gearshift stick
has
> been removed. I removed the 4 long studs -- 2 each on the left and right
> sides -- from the engine block in hopes of easing reassembly.
>
> The one thing I've not tried is using heavy force such as a large hammer
> the back of the tranny to ram it home. Is this what's called for?  Any
other
> advice from those who've done this job?

You don't want to be hammering on the tranny.  You also shouldn't have to
remove the long studs, in fact they may help you line things up.

Have you tried jacking up the front of the motor?  Another good case for
having a front mounted electric fan, otherwise you need to remove the fan
shroud.  Stick a small socket under one of the bolts at the front edge of
the sump, and stick a floor jack under that.  You should be able to jack the
front of the motor up by a couple of inches, which tilts the rear of the
motor back a like amount.

This makes it much easier to line up the tranny.

HTH,

bs