GTV6 Electronic speedometer question again

Thanks to those who already tried to help me with this.  Now some updates:
After not being able to find a speedo cable of any sort in the vicinity of
the brake booster, I decided to have a look-see toward the x-mission that is
still a mystery to me.  I found the speedo sending unit, which apparently is
already electrical in nature, having a pink and a striped white wire coming
from it.
Being the silly person that I am, I had washed tons of gunk from the
underbelly a few weeks ago, with no problems except that it was no apparent
that water had gotten in the protective boot of this connector!  So, I
yanked out and cleaned the durned thing, even crimping the contacts for a
tighter fit and tested her out.  Nothing.
So I rip into the dash again and look at the speedo dial itself.  The
'circuitboard' or more aptly flex circuit that is part of the unit looks
perfectly strong, but now I see that the pink and white wires match right up
to useful wires on the speedo unit.  So I connect a DVM to the two plug
leads and drive my car around a small lot to see what I see....
First, I get a steady 0.38V at idle.  Moving forward, the voltage goes
virtually nowhere. Maybe 0.39V.  Upon reverse, it goes to 1V and above!  I
certainly didn't wire the plug wrong putting it back together, so what does
this all mean?
What voltages does one expect to see ?
Does anyone know what current and voltage I can pass through the speedo dial
to test its functionality?

TIA,
Darren
'83 GTV6 (Officer-I-REALLY-had-no-idea-how-fast-I-was-going-edition)