1750 Transmission Problems

I was banging gears the other day, trying to record 0-60 times, and yes, I
know all about the 2nd gear problems and how the unit should be babied into
2nd but I figured once or twice wouldn't hurt on a lightended box with fairly
new (<5K mi) synchros.  Anyway, the first attempt from first to second seemed
much harder than usual with a slight cruntch.  After that - no second gear
though all the other gears work fine.  The gear lever position for 2nd gear
moves about halfway and stops, no grinding at this point but no engagement
either, car running or not.  I'm assuming the operating sleeve, the one with
the internal teeth or the external teeth on second gear are damaged.  Anyone
experience this before?  Looks like the tranny's coming out :-(

Frank Formeister