Re: distributor diagnosis

Doug,
	I would question your shop more thoroughly.  I don't know who they are
or what their level of expertise is.  So I won't question their diagnosis.  But
you should ask to be educated as to how they reached that conclusion.
	On a Bosch Spider (which your '84 Spider is), the distributor's sole
function is to "Distribute" the spark to the right cylinder.  There are no
points, advance mechanism or condensor.  So cap and rotor are the only
replacement parts.  The Bosch spark box and trigger pin on the flywheel take
care of generating and timing of the spark.
	Granted, the bushings might be worn and causing undue wobble in the
shaft.  This will not cause a timing problem (as it would on a distributor
triggered system), but it could break or prematurely wear the cap an rotor.
	The real question is "What is your problem?"  Is the engine running
rough?  Misfire at high speed?  You need to tell us the problem.
	A quick an dirty check would be to put a strobe light on #1 cylinder and
look at the timing is from idle up to high rpm.  Do you have a strobe light?  If
not, get one.  They are essential to a shade tree mechanics toolbox and not that
expensive.
	Is the strobe stable or does it jump around or miss several beats?  Does
it advance continuously from idle up to high rpm or does it jump around?  If you
have problems, it could be something other than the distributor.

Hope this helps,
Charlie S
'89 Spider