Overheating Spider

Russ Neely sez in response to Bill Bain's overheating Spider:
       Putting the Milano sending unit in the spider cooling fan circuit is a
good idea.  However, putting it on top of the head it will measure the engine
coolant temperature at the hottest point in the system.  It would be better
to put it in the bottom radiator tank.  If the coolant is cool enough at the
point, the fan is not needed.

And I sez:  Russ is right.  I found that a 164 sender I was given fit
perfectly in place of one of the Allen plugs in the top of my '72 Spider's
head.   Someone who, I thought, should know, told me to install it there and
run a hot lead so the fan would run till the engine was cool.

The damn thing seemed like it would never turn off.  I replaced the stock plug
this weekend and will have a fitting for some kind of 180F thermoswitch
installed in my radiator.

I had a thermoswitch put in there a couple of years ago, when I had the
radiator rebuilt, but they installed a fitting which would only take modern
Japanese car switches, and they are set to turn on 'way too hot for an Alfa.
Get the switch first, test it, and then find the fitting to match.

Meantime, the rocker switch beside my right knee does fine.

Joe Cantrell
Portland, OR