Re: Overheating Spider

On my '83, the A/C fan is controlled by a temperature sensor that's attached
to the fan shroud and hangs out into the airflow from the fan attached to
the waterpump. I think it's the same deal up to the Motronic Spiders.   It's
a pretty Rube Goldberg arrangement, but if the sensor is jostled, it falls
back and is blocked from the airflow by the shroud.  Make sure the sensor is
out in the airflow.  The sensor can be tested by unscrewing it from the
shroud (mine's located on the rear of the shroud by the coil) and, with the
ignition and the A/C on, heat the sensor using a match and see if the A/C
fan kicks in.  You could also jump the sensor wires to see if the fan works.
  Some folks have taken out the sensor and put in a manual switch.

I've discussed the fix with Hans and the "permanent" fix appears to get the
two wire coolant temp switch that screws into the lower part of the Milano
radiator.  It's the same thread size as the head plugs in the top of the 4
cylinder head.  Replace one of those plugs and run the sensor wires to it.
That way, the A/C fan is controlled by coolant temp instead of the air temp
after it passes through the radiator.  It should be much more consistent in
its operation.  That's my plan when I drain the radiator and take the
radiator out to work on the A/C this winter.

Hope that helps!

Bill Bain
AROC Atlanta
'83 Spider