RE71

Roy,
I can't comment specifically on how good or bad the RE71 is for the Spider.
I have them on a BMW 325i (e36) and they are good for typical driving and
the occasional twisty road. They are not very good in rain, and not good at
all in a cold rain. (unless you like spinning your tires!) They are also
noisier than the Dunlop D40s that I used to have.

One concern is that this is a relatively old design and it may be difficult
to get hold of replacements if required. I bought 4 RE71s about 3 years ago
in the 205/60/15 size. 1 year ago I had a flat that destroyed one tire. (no
rollover, glad I don't drive a truck). That size was NLA. I ended up buying
a decent used tire from someone on this list or the BMW list, but it was a
hassle. So, the moral of the story is that you may get a good deal on the
tire today due to its close-out nature, but if you need a replacement next
year it may be a challenge.

The 195/55/14 size does not seem quite right either. The original 185/70/14
tires (of the 1982 Spider, which I have) have a diameter of 24.19 inches. I
have 205/60/14 on my Spider; these tires' diameter is 23.68 inches. A bit
smaller, but not much. 195/55/14 tires have a diameter of 22.44 inches.
That's almost 2 inches smaller than stock. This will have the effect of
increasing your numerical gear ratio (improving acceleration, but increasing
revs on the highway) and also lowering the car by almost 1 inch, which may
endanger your sump. Plus the low profile (55) would worsen the ride over
sharp bumps.  The 195/60/14 that you mention has a 23.21 inch diameter,
which is closer to stock.

Finally, some Digesters recommend staying with the stock size, as the Spider
will not really reach the same levels of grip as a more modern car, and
going to wider tires will make the steering heavier. I disregarded that
advice when I got my 205 mm tires, but if I had to do it over again I would
probably get some original size tires. There are some H speed rating tires
available in that size, which should be decent.

Good luck,
Greg