Alfetta Tail Light Answer?

In V8 #52 Joe Fillip writes: I have a non-functioning turn signal on the
driver's side tail light of my '78 Alfetta Sports Sedan. The bulb itself
is good, and the flasher relay
appears to be functioning, as all other turn signals (including the
driver's
side front turn signal) work. I have thoroughly cleaned the circuit
board
and plug-in connectors for the driver's side tail light, and applied
De-Oxit
to all all contacts.

Anyone got any ideas as to other possible causes of this problem?

Thanks for any and all help.

*********

Joe, first I'd like to say I won't make my usual smart-ass comments when
replying to questions on the Digest during the weekend.

I snipe at those who it appears will only answer questions or post new
ones while at work and are getting paid to do so.

This weekend especially I'm sure many people are with friends and loved
oneswhich is the way it should be. That doesn't mean we don't need to
take care of projects that require our attention.

Mr. Non (perhaps anti) Electrical will try to assist. I'm speculating
your problem is with the contacts on your turn signal switch. While I
should be, I'm not familiar with De-Oxit and how it's applied.

If it is sprayed on and has a long nozzle, you're in business. If not, I
suggest you get a can of contact cleaner with silicones from an
electronic parts supply store.

In this application you want to clean the contacts, but a certain amount
of lubrication is required as the brass parts slide over one another
when using the turn signal switch.

Put the nozzle end in the opening of the steering shroud, then into the
opening where the end of the switch handle goes into the switch
assembly. Give it a good squirt, move the switch handle up and down,
then give it one more squirt, then try the turn signal switch.

Since you've tested and cleaned the contacts on the bulb / bulb holder
itself, I'm guessing this should fix it. However,  you might have to do
this several times if, for whatever reason, the contacts have arced
badly.

Do check the fuses, but since all other turn signal lights are
apparently functional.... Believe it's #3, but don't hold me to it.

If all fails, gain access to the back of the taillights and carefully
clean any / all ground wire contacts.

Hope this works and that yours and everyone on the Digest's life is
getting reasonably back to normal,

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA

PS As an old liberal I sometimes amaze myself how far to the right I can
go on some issues. We need a vital nation now more than ever. Do think
twice, or even thrice, before selling those stocks tomorrow (Monday)
a.m. On the contrary, if you can afford to do so, please Invest in
America.

(We now switch you back to your Alfa broadcasting station).