Spider Suspension Myth vs. Reality?

My 82 Spider, with 90k miles, was up on a lift this morning.  This is my
first Alfa and the information around can be conflicting. I'm driving it
only on the street, as a daily driver for the summer. I love driving the
car, but the understeer is dramatic. The mechanic inspected and determined
(his opinion) that:

a) the rubber bushing at the bottom of the rear shocks was cracking and
should be replaced. All 4 shocks looks original and are not leaking.

b) the idler arm bushings have play in them. The bushing needs to be replaced.

c) one tie rod end of the centre link was loose. It should be replaced.

d) the bushings on the rear trailing arm (front and back) are cracked, They
should be replaced.

Is there anything else that should be done at the same time? This is what
I've heard from the list and other sources and I cannot separate the coal
from the diamonds.

1) the upper control arm bushings generally fail and are relatively
inexpensive. When the suspension is apart you should replace them anyway,
before an alignment

2) the lower ball joints are common problems and should be replaced when
doing work.

3) the trunnion?? has bushings that are frequently broken and when the rear
is being worked on, should be replaced.

4) you can replace the rear shocks with Koni shocks and not worry about the
front until you're working on other repairs.

5) you need a special tool to insert bushings into the trailing arm.

6) The car is totally stock. The most effective upgrade is wheels and
tires. You can put a 16 inch wheel with a 205/50/16 and find yourself in a
"new" car without clearance issues or making it difficult to turn the wheel
at low speeds.

7) Front sway bar bushings are critical to tight handling. Replace stock
bushings with nylon.

Any help would be appreciated.

Brian Pleet
82 Alfa Spider