Re: rims, tires, wheels & sensor

   I agree with Keith in AD V8 #31 and Biba in V8 #33; the rubber is a tire,
the metal is a rim and the combination of the two is a wheel. I call 'em this
simply because that's what the guy at the gas station called them back in the
50's. Even if you choose to call it a rim or a wheel, then why do most people
call the things that cover them "hubcaps"? They are actually called, get this,
wheelcovers!! My wife just said, why not call them rimcovers? Mmmmmm. Anyway,
a hubcap (AKA dustcap or dustcover) is what covers a hub. They are the little
metal things that you always dent when hammering them back into the front hubs
to cover the front wheel bearings on a RWD car.
   For Joe E, as he posted in AD V8 #33, the term "mass airflow sensor" is
short for mass (of the air) and airflow (in volumn). It measures both at the
same time by sending an electric current thru a small wire to maintain a
pre-determined temperature. Since the wire is exposed to the air in the intake
tract, increased airflow will tend to cool off the wire. So the sensor
increases the voltage thru the wire to maintain the same temperature. It is
this delta voltage (along with input from various other sensors) that
determines fuel injector pulse width (the amount of time the injector stays
open). I suppose one could call it an "air density and air volumn compensating
device for determining fuel quantity and richness sensor", but mass airflow is
so much easier to say! BTW, in the automotive world, the abbreviation for a
mass airflow sensor is "MAF" and not "MAS".

Regards,

Jim
68 GTV - no MAF, no wheelcovers and two hubcaps

papajam1@domain.elided