Upside down shocks

I too installed a set of shocks "upside down". They were
Bilsteins  (monotube of course) and I installed them with the lettering
right side up, rods up and cylinder's down. Years later my mechanic
suggested  to me that they had been installed upside down. Naturally, the
shocks could care less. They are designed to work in two directions:
compression and rebound. Which way up they are doesn't affect either function.

The car i installed them on would accept the shocks the other way up. They
lasted well over 80,000 miles with no discernible wear. Of course someone
on this learned digest will point out that the unsprung weight may be
slightly different. I claim that the oil is lighter than the steel piston
rod so they should of course be installed with the cylinder down!

Cheers

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta
Canada