Spider won't pass smog.

My 90 spider failed it's smog test today.  The HC and CO measurements were
pretty much off the charts.
I get trouble codes 1223 and 1224, which both point to the O2 sensor.
I replaced the 3-wire sensor with a 1-wire one today and will re-test
tomorrow.  My mechanic (30 yrs experience) suggested going this route since
the 1 wire is over $100 cheaper.  Said to just make sure to let the car warm
up.  Sounds reasonable to me.

If this doesn't cure the problem, what else should I be looking at?  The
catalytic?  Spendy fix, so if there are other things to check first, I'd
like to do that.

How do you check a catalytic converter anyone?

Thanks in advance

James