Spider crankshaft / block tolerance & nitriting questions

Hi All,
I took apart the bottom end (89 veloce, 85k miles) to do rings because it
was blowing a little smoke, and found a journal nut in the oil pan.  I
pulled the engine and noted light pitting on the crank's main bearing
surfaces, so I took the crank in to be turned.  I have since found out that
Alfa recommends only replacing the crank, since it's nitrited at the
factory.  The machine shop assured me the nitriting process penetrates .020"
or so into the crank, and they'd only be taking .010" off, so it's ok.  they
can also send the crank to be renitrited if deemed necessary.
Anybody know about nitriting, whether I should get a different crank, and if
I should get it nitrited after turning?  This is my first complete engine
overhaul, so be gentle.

thanks in advance.
dan hagrman in kc