Re: Alfa Return <Lutz factor>

MAXLTV@domain.elided wrote...
> I am sure GM is well aware of the "captive import" syndrome that
affected
> their attempts to distribute Opel in the late 60s, as well as Ford's
lame
> attempt with the Merkur.

I can assure you that Bob Lutz is acutely aware of  Ford's failure with
the Merkur marque, as it was under his stewardship that this program was
launched.  Unfortunately, his hand was forced on several issues, and he
was left with few choices.  When I spoke with him just a year ago, he
still spoke quite passionately about the mistakes that were made, most
noteworthy of which was selling the cars through the Lincoln-Mercury
dealerships.  "Did we learn nothing from the failure of the Capri?" he
asked.

I feel better about the future of the Alfa marque now that Bob is
involved, even if it does take a year or two more to get it done right.

Brad Anesi
'91 Project 164Q 5-speed