Re: lug nuts

Biba asked if anyone had ever had lug nuts loosening on non race cars that
were not just finger tight.  Well, this is my story, and I am sticking to it.
 :>)

Shortly after I put aftermarket wheels on my 164 in 2000, the left front
wheel almost came off while driving to work.  I had used a torque wrench on
all the lug nuts, and the only one that was really loose was the left front.
The right front needed to be retorqued, but not loose.  The rears were both
okay.

Being rather paranoid after that, I checked the torque every other week, and
after two weeks found the left front lug nuts had backed off a little, not
enough to be loose, but enough that I could retorque to spec without backing
off the nuts.  I decided that I had a little too much antiseize on the
threads, cleaned them up a little, and have had no problems in a year and a
half.

John Justus