Re: I love Italians...

Ed wrote:

"Even the US Postal Service will not offer "Global Priority Mail" Postal
Service if the destination country is Italy, since they feel that the
internal Italian Postal system is not reliable enough to be depended on to
deliver time-sensitive items! "

I have never seen a written explanation for the unwillingness of the USPS to
ship GPM to Italy;
I suspect it is a disagreement on rate structure rather than a comment on
reliability.  We regularly send
many articles back and forth between Honolulu and Rome, including sensitive
legal documents, usually by regular
mail.  Very rarely has the mail taken more than a few days, and as far as we
can tell any delays have always
been on the US end.

However, I will agree that doing business in Italy can be quirky.  We sold
some property there recently, it
took 2 years to fully complete the transaction (hence the flow of mail I
mentioned).
On the other hand, I know many people in the US who have
bought espresso brewing equipment from Italy via mail order, and had
delivery within 2 days of ordering.
Now, if only we could get cars the same way!

- David R.