Re: '91 164 outside door handle kaput

In AD8-0013 Chip Schug asks, re the 164 driver's door handle, "how much did it
cost to fix and how "involved" was the process?"

 Handle was $35.95 plus tax, getting it painted was $50 (and took a week,
which is another reason I liked the idea of Alfabill having a batch painted in
all 164 colors, but that would be an inventory investment for him -) and the
actual work was finnicky but not really difficult. I wouldn't want to give the
job to someone who hadn't done it, didn't have the shop manual, and wasn't
patient and careful. (But that goes for anything, doesn't it?) I pieced
together bits from four pages (55-6,-7, -8, -9) in the Shop manual, covering
discrete parts of the process, and hope I didn't get anything irrrevocably
mixed up. If not clear, get the shop manual (which has helpful pictures)

 Disconnect battery negative lead

 Remove front finisher (in front of armrest)

----remove screw located under door opening control

----slide forward front finisher until free from rear plastic pin

----remove front finisher

 Remove lower panel

----disconnect lower lamp wiring

----remove five screws securing lower panel

----move-away lower panel from plastic catch and remove it.

 Remove louvers finishers and door panel complete with armrest

----remove screws securing louvers finisher

----remove louvers finisher

----remove three screws securing armrest

----move away rear end of armrest and disconnect lamp wiring

----remove rear screw securing door panel

 Remove inner and outer sealing screens

 Remove two nuts securing handle

 Remove handle plate

 Remove handle complete with tie rod

 If required, remove securing bolt then remove rubber mounting

 Replace handle complete with tie rod

 After handle, handle plate and rubber mounting (if removed) have been
installed, perform following before torquing bolts:

 check handle for freedom of movement; check that handle upper corners do not
hit handle recess

 torque bolts

 Recheck

 Replace inner and outer sealing screens

 Replace louvers finisher and door panel complete with armrest

 Replace lower panel

 Replace front finisher

 Reconnect battery

 All of which are among the many reasons the earlier cars look better and
better to me.

 John H.