re: Say, whats that whirring sound?

If it hasn't been mentioned yet, try rotating the tires.  See if the
whirring noise goes away, or shifts to the front.
Odd wear pattern(s), due to out of balance e.g., could be the cuprit.

Cheap, and easy to do in the privacy of your own home.

Jay N
ARO So Cal

Investigating a low whirring sound, I found that the left rear wheel has

some play in it when I push/pull the wheel. Is it possible the axle
shaft
can come loose?
What would be the procedure for repair?
If it's not a loose axle then what??
The wheel lug nuts are tight, so I don't think that's the problem. Also,
the
whirring sound is more pronounced while rolling in neutral.
TIA
Dennis
Anchorage, Alaska
'86 Spider Quad