re: Say, whats that whirring sound?

hi dennis, ewe said:
<<<Investigating a low whirring sound, I found that the left rear wheel has some play in it when I push/pull the wheel. Is it possible the axle shaft can come loose?  What would be the procedure for repair?  If it's not a loose axle then what??  The wheel lug nuts are tight, so I don't think that's the problem. Also, the whirring sound is more pronounced while rolling in neutral.>>>
sounds like rear wheel bearings are going, or have awreddy gone.  does the noise diminish whilst turning right? especially noticeable at speed on a sweeping turn...  if so, then it's almost surely the weel bearings...

doug s.