John's Mercedes friend

Can't beat that German engineering!!
If there is a Mercedes digest, do you think the digesters are spending their time complaining about the crappy quality of their cars??  Just think about what would be said on this digest if someone relayed the same experiences with their new 156 or 166.
Just think how the same experiences would be dealt with in the motoring press.
The Benz experience would be an atypical glitch (no matter how many cars it happens to) that they would forgive and bury in the glowing praise heaped on the crate.  The Alfa experience would be just another manifestation of that quirky alfa behaviour, another example of almost there Alfa quality, another in the long line of sacrifices we are asked to make to enjoy the essence of italin/alfa motoring.  blahblahblah.
I do hope John's friend gets his car straightened out.
Andy