balljoint replacement

I'd like to undertake my first lower balljoint replacement on my 73 GTV,
and postpone my next payment to my mechanic's son's college fund.
Seem to recall a posting from some time ago where someone outline a
proceedure to separate the old balljoint using the weight of the car and
creative jacking points....
The idea here is to do this without balljoint separators or pickleforks,
none of which i have.
So, can a semi-hack shadetree mechanic do this without the aid of
specialized tools?
Could anyone who has BTDT outline the whole procedure?

Thanks,
Peter Kemos
Santa Cruz