Re: Berlina alternator question

Hullo all,

Another late reply from me - this time to Andrew's alternator-light query in
no.3085.  Some writers have already advised that faulty diodes can give this
symptom, but if that turns out to not be the case in this instance, then
here's another thing you could check. A slightly-glowing alternator lamp
when the charging voltage is OK is often caused by a slightly dirty
connection somewhere in the circuit involving the IND output from the
alternator, the charge lamp and the regulator. The field current flowing in
this path can cause a slight voltage-drop across the high-resistance
connection which can make the light glow faintly even when charging
operation is totally OK. One of the car's fuses will be in this path and
this is usually the culprit. The intensity of the glowing can be increased
by switching on high loads such as headlights (which cause higher field
current), or minor loads such as wipers or blowers which are fed from the
fuse concerned and cause a voltage drop across it.  Have struck this quirk
numerous times in 105, 116 and Alfasud Alfas.

Best regards,
Graham, N.Z.