Re: extinguishers

>>AROC or Alfa Romeo Owner's Club used to require fire extinguishers.
>>That rule went into effect in the late 1970's after a very nice Giulietta
>>spider with a hot rod 2000 engine burned up on a club event.  The rule
was
>>later removed from the national rules.  However, local clubs may
supplement
>>the national rules to meet their local needs, so long as they do not
decrease
>>any of the safety provisions.
  >>     I am also curious which local club is requiring fire
extinguishers.

I got a few responses off list and the best I can gather is that it is club
specific. All of the tracks and clubs I have driven with (east coast) have
NOT required them--that is why it sounded strange to me. Personally, I
think it is a silly requirement, at least for D.E. and Time Trial events.
Certainly, it makes sense for any race prepped cars running exotic fuel to
have them.
I guess the next question would be, do these tracks/clubs also require 3
layers of nomex for all drivers as well? What about roll bars, or cages for
that matter?  Seems to me that the likelihood of a "street legal" or mildly
prepped race car going up in flames is much less likely than a driver
getting hurt by an improperly mounted extinguisher.

-JT