Re: alfa-digest V7 #3095 - Fire Extinguisher Requirements

In a message dated 08/29/2001 2:00:18 PM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 14:34:32 -0400
> From: John_Torello@domain.elided
> Subject: Re: Fire Extinguishers
>
> Just out of curiosity, which clubs (Alfa?) are requiring fire extinguishers
> for their events?
> I've never driven with one that did and was surprised to read in the
> original post that it was a requirement.
>
> - -JT

       AROC or Alfa Romeo Owner's Club used to require fire extinguishers.
That rule went into effect in the late 1970's after a very nice Giulietta
spider with a hot rod 2000 engine burned up on a club event.  The rule was
later removed from the national rules.  However, local clubs may supplement
the national rules to meet their local needs, so long as they do not decrease
any of the safety provisions.
       I am also curious which local club is requiring fire extinguishers.

       By the way, the SCCA GCR hand held fire extinguisher on page 127 of
the 2001 rule book are:
A) Halon 1301 or 1211, two (2) pound minimum capacity by weight.  Or

B) Dry chemical, two (2) pound minimum with a positive indicator showing
charge. Chemical: 10BC Underwriters Laboratory rating, potassium bicarbonate
(Purple K) recommended.  1A10BC Underwriters Laboratory rating multipurpose,
ammonium phosphate or barium sulfate or Monnex.

C)  Fire extinguisher shall be securely mounted in the cockpit.  All mounting
brackets shall be metal and of the quick release type.

     No Velcro allowed for mounting!

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City