gearbox fill plug

Hi Brian:

The gearbox Allen wrench is a 14mm hex.  There are a few options.  The
first might be to try a place that sells VW parts, as the 14mm is common on
old Beetles.  Another is to go to a hardware store that has metric
nuts/bolts.  Buy a short bolt with a 14mm head and two nuts.  Put both nuts
on the bolt and tighten them against each other so they are locked.  Insert
the bolt end into the gearbox filler and put a 14mm socket on the outer
nut.  Lastly, you should be able to find a 14mm hex driver that will fit a
3/8 or 1/2" ratchet at just about any Sears or NAPA store.  That would be
my preference, as those filler plugs can be very tight, and most times a
long handled ratchet is the only safe way to remove one.

At 04:37 PM 8/29/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 16:19:35 -0700
>From: "Brian's mail" <bsmith@domain.elided>
>Subject: gearbox fill plug
>
>When I removed the speedo gear on my 82 Spider to check it out, a whole
>bunch of gearbox oil leaked out.  Now I need to refill the gearbox but I
>don't seem to have a tool that will remove the fill plug.  It looks like
>about a 13 mm allen head.  Can anyone tell me what tool to use for this and
>any suggestions as to where to find it (my local auto supply houses don't
>carry allen head wrenches that large) ?
>Thanks.
>Brian

Regards,