clear fuel hose

>You folk had Strongly suggested I Not try installing clear fuel
>hose (since, apparently no safe hose existsalthough I still wonder
>about the stuff that has angled lines running through it).

I have often wondered about this.... On older yachts, and even on new
cruising yachts, it is common practice to fit a sight gauge to each fuel
tank in order to visually confirm the amount of fuel.  (if you think triple
A is expensive, try SeaTow!)  These are typically a clear plastic hose of
about 1" OD with a shut of at the top and bottom of the tank.  My
understanding is that glass is not used as it is breakable (trust me, if
you've never been in the bilge of a boat at sea, there is plenty of reason
to think it would get broken).  The idea is that you would shut off the fuel
to the gauge when not in use, but still I wonder if there isn't some better
material.  Knowing there are specifications for nearly everything pertaining
to a yacht I wouldn't be surprised to find a rule pertaining to this.  But
since most of these specs are 'voluntary' I wonder if this isn't simply
deemed 'good enough'.  Strange practice on million dollar boats, eh?

Now I'm curious.  I think I'm going to have to consult a surveyor...

<ramble mode off>