Re: Speeding on I-5

In college I drove from SF to LA too many times to remember. When the
Passport radar detector first came out in the late '80s I bought one for my
Scirocco. It has gone off no more than two or three times?! The CHP is out
there, though. Watch out for any sort of plane flying parallel to the road!

Doing say, oh 90mph in the Alfa is nothing. Minivans, SUYs, and sub 2-liter
econoboxes regularly come up behind to pass. It can be quite nerve-racking
because 9 times out of 10 they find they can't pass the big tractor trailer
after all and pull right in front of you...

Highway 1 (my preferred route in recent years if I have the time) has been
somewhat problematic too. Mudslides and road repair work have often meant
that you are left sitting for anywhere from 10 to 45 minutes while opposite
traffic is let through on only one open lane. Still, the view is
breathtaking. Don't take Highway 1 if you need to get somewhere in a hurry.

Happy driving!

Chris Robyn
El Cerrito, CA
'84 GTV-6