GTV Steering Box

Hello.  I'm looking for some wisdom on GTV steering ailments.

I've noticed a transitional looseness in the steering on my GTV - basically
some hesitation on intiating a turn.  Once loaded up, the steering feels
tight and responsive.  The steering box itself is tight, with no noticable
internal play.  Front suspension, including ball joints, has been recently
rebuilt.  The problem seems to be that the bottom of the steering box
actually swings back and forth as the wheel is turned, and that the extent
of the looseness I feel is directly related to the flexing of the box.
Once it reaches one end or another of it's swing, the steering tightens up
nicely, at least in one direction.

How much flex is normal for the steering box mount?  Could my problem be a
matter of loose mounting bolts, or is it something structural?  Any
advice/experience would be appreciated.

Thanks,

W.B. Peale
69 GT Veloce